Friday, April 18, 2014

Don't let the little birds steal your joy {about jealousy}


A couple of Christmases ago we went to Melbourne for my brother's wedding
and while we were there we went to that famous street that has the cake shops.
Of course we had to try the cakes (for the cultural experience)
and when we were finished the birds came and ate all the crumbs.


We had a good time and it didn't matter a scrap that the birds ate the leftovers,
but somehow the image of those birds stealing the crumbs
makes me think about how we let people steal our joy
and sometimes accidentally we steal someone else's joy.


It's the little things I find, like when someone gets to do something exciting
and I feel jealous because I am not doing it
rather than glad for them that they get an opportunity.

Then I steal a bit of someone else's joy,
I take from their excitement because of how I feel.


I think it is a real gift to be genuinely glad for someone
when something good happens
with a generous heart and not let our own pain or sadness cast a shadow over it.

It's something I really want to embrace.


This Easter we have been truly blessed because very dear friends of ours
have let us have the use of their home for the long weekend.

In the past, maybe we would have wished to go off on some fancy holiday
somewhere and enjoy the sights of somewhere new
and we would have let those little birds steal our joy.


But we have learned to be grateful for where we are,
to be a family together, enjoy peace and quiet
and the beauty that surrounds us so close to home.

This Easter, the little birds are not stealing our joy
because we are just so grateful to be happy together as a family.

7 comments:

Sally said...

You have such a beautiful mind. Thanks for sharing your insights, you've made my life richer for it.

Leeanne said...

Lovely words. So true too.
Happy Easter!

Kylie P. said...

Sounds like a great weekend. Enjoy creating your own joy and spending quality time together. We are hanging around home and doing the same.

Lynne Shandley said...

Happy Easter to you.
At one stage all my friends had paired up and were getting married and having kids. I was older than them and didn't even have a boyfriend. I learned to be happy for them, genuinely happy for them but jeez it was hard at first...
(Acland Street? In St Kilda?)

Leonie said...

Life is such tricky business, beautifully written Deb. Happy Easter to you and your family xx

Ninotchka McKay said...

A wonderful way to be x

Stella R said...

Love this post, Deb! Love, love, love!!